No Products in the Cart
The original building of McCarthy's was constructed in 1875 by a Swiss-Italian gold prospector called John Bonguelmi, who, after making his fortune in the goldfields of Ballarat, Australia and Westport, New Zealand, married a local woman he had met in Australia. Her name was Margaret Horan and she was from Castleisland. They married in New Zealand then returned home and built The Chute Arms Hotel, which opened its doors in 1877. It was a purpose built "hotel" and included servants quarters, a coach house, and, of course, the Bar area. It was built from local limestone that was salvaged from the old Norman Castle that gives the town its name. In 1952, the hotel was sold to a local farmer John McCarthy and his son Tom, who ran the pub. Tom’s youngest son, Tom, took over the pub in 1997 and is still running it today with the help of his family.
Next year, 2017, will see the historic pub opened for its 140th year.If you’re looking for a traditional Irish family run pub with a genuine family feel, look no further than Tom McCarthy's, The Central Bar, 40 Main Street, Castleisland.